The process of manipulating and helping a person by providing the right guidance, moral support, and exploring a solution for the problem being faced, ‘ Counselling is usually associated with professional helping out an individual in need. An expert counsellor is one who can understand human behaviour and have the ability to understand them and help them in giving the right direction. This professional is a person you can reach out to in times of uncertainty, and who make sure that your identity and problems remain confidential. The relationship between a Counsellor and a Counselee is based on a good rapport and trust. This is important while counselling, as it helps to achieve the end goal, i.e., helping the counselee reach the solutions to his problems.
What Is Career Counselling?
Career Counselling. Career counselling and career guidance are two different sides of one coin. Career counselling is a process that focuses on helping one understand one’s own self, as well as work trends so that one can take an informed decision about career and education. Career Counselling helps manage a diverse range of problems such as low concentration levels to poor time management, trust issues with the family to non-agreement between parents and children on which career to choose.
In order to understand Career Counselling a little better, let us look at its most important elements:
A Qualified Career Counsellor
A genuine Career Counsellor is the essence of right guidance, which is why he/she is the most important element of any career counselling process. Career Counsellors are experts in this and have experience of understanding them, A good career counsellor should an at least graduation degree and most important part is at least five to seven years of counselling experience. Career Counsellors who give guidance for a particular field, such as engineering, management, hospitality, etc., must be experts in the concerned domain.
Important points about a good career counsellor
A good Career Counsellor is a one who must have this capability, It’s not a joke when you are advising anything about their career.
- Problem solver
- Keen listener and
A Secure Environment
The process of career counselling involves creating a safe and secure environment, where the student feels at ease and is able to discuss his/her life and career, without any hesitation. A part of this secure environment is the assurance of confidentiality of the information shared by the student.
An Agreement Of Trust And Confidence
The Career Counselling process is based on a relationship of trust and confidence between the career counsellor and student. In order to help him/her, the counsellor may sometimes talk about their emotional and developmental issues, which can be a little stressful. The student and the parent need to place an enormous amount of faith in the Counsellor to take care of such matters.
Find all that you need to know about career assessments here
In this manner, relevant and standardized assessments help a student understand him/herself better, and career decisions can be made more easily.
Who Need Career Counselling & When?
The world is busy and you have to take a decision for your career, We at collegebolo.in have developed a career counselling program that can help students taking proper career decision before choosing any stream, any institution, etc.
Time and tide wait for a noun, Collegebolo has experienced that the perfect time for students to seek Career Counselling is during the ages 11-18 years (6th standard to 12th standard). This is a time of many changes taking place in their life, both physical and emotional, such as transitioning from school to college and trying to “fit in” with peers. It is also a time when career decisions are made. This is why they need someone to guide them in the right direction at this time.
Most of our parents are actively involved in shaping our career, in fact at least 51% of Indian parents’ priority is their child’s financial success “ The Value of Education: Learning for Life”). We can safely assume that our parents follow a hands-on approach when it comes to making career decisions for us. Sometimes, it works and many times, it does not. We can attribute this to the fact that every child is unique, and it is extremely hard for parents or teachers to always recognize the child’s strengths or weaknesses, and his passion or dislikes. This is another reason why career counselling is needed.
For students in college, who are still confused about what they want to do, as well as for professionals who want to transition from their field to something they love, career counselling helps in the following manner:
Why Do I Need Career Counselling?
- Career Counselling helps them understand the career options that they have, and how to pursue them.
- Career Counselling helps them understand their own strengths and weaknesses with regard to their present course or profession, and lets them know what career they would be suited for.
- Career Counselling gives them a platform to voice their opinion about what they would like to pursue, as well as discuss the obstacles that they may be worried about.
- Career Counselling makes the transition from one field to another a non-stressful event.
- Career Counselling helps give them the required confidence to change their domain, with the support of an experienced mentor.
Making a good career is everyone goals, Students at the age of 12 to 18 always make mistakes in choosing a career and roadmap of career. Also, we can say at some stage everyone needs career guidance in their life, at some stage one who is confused and unable to take career decision must look for career guidance service provider like collegebolo, We are expert and will provide proper career solution. A good career counsellor can help to get an insight about your career and how you can move forward.
Here are a few ways in which career counselling helps us:
- Helps Pick The Right Career : Career Counselor are experts at assessing your aptitude, personality, interests, and other aspects of you. They use this evaluation to suggest the best career options from all the available and relevant options.
- Helps Provide Expert Resources : Career Counselling provides access to the resources and knowledge that a career expert possesses. This knowledge of Careers, their scope and the paths to pursue them are most important from the point of view of a parent and child since most of the times, parents or guardians do not have that kind of knowledge.
- Helps Gain Confidence And Insight : Career Counselling helps a counselee understand the hurdles in his/her career path. This knowledge helps to develop the confidence to overcome these hurdles. It is the duty of a good counselor to provide such insight and confidence to the counselee.
- Helps Change Unwanted Behavior Patterns : Students and professionals have habits that are hard to break, such as procrastinating, not keeping updated on latest developments in their chosen career paths, neglecting emotional and mental health, not trying to self-motivate, etc. A Career Counselor helps break such behavioural patterns that lead to unproductive activities, both at home and in school/college/work.
- Helps Remove Career-Related Frustration : Choosing a career can be a demanding task for both parents and children. A lack of any source of venting out emotions and thoughts may add to the existing frustration. Career Counselling provides a platform where such frustrations can be reduced, and focus is re-directed to selecting the best career options.
- Provides A Role-Model : Career Counselling helps students connect to experts who have enough life experiences to share. They are role models who have accomplished much and helped people in their life. This is why Career Counselling can serve as an inspiration to those who require it.
- Helps Bring Stability In Thought : Career Counselors can help you remain calm when it comes to taking a career decision. Counselling helps bring about focus, and maintain that focus throughout our activities. Through proper scheduling and planning, they try and make your life more organized.